Sunday, August 26, 2012

What's New and What's Been New

I'll begin with this Summer.  We just showed at our local Blues Festival here in Wheeling, WV.  I post about it on The Desert Beckons face page.  Check it out.  This was our 4th year setting up at this festival.  Here in Wheeling we have this beautiful river front area where all sorts of events take place.  The Blues Festival - Heritagefest.com - is one of the grooviest events there.  Last year, Buddy Guy closed the show - Buddy Guy is a Blues legend, ICYDK.  I didn't.  I was in awe of this dude, 74 years old, playing the guitar, singing, makin people stand up, sit down, listen...He moved me, he moved the crowd - well, not really, people were glued to their seats with their mouths open - locked jawed.  It was spectacular.  This year, an equally impressive line up.  The Robert Cray Band closed the Friday show.  Kenny Wayne Shephard Band closed the show on Sunday.  The music is so good and I'm such a novice about who's who and all I can say is - come to this show.  You will not be disappointed.  The venue is intimate, the food is good, there's a chance to meet & greet with the musicians and we vendors get to sell stuff and enjoy a great 3 day concert.  A concert that people drive over 10 hours to attend.  The dude that puts it all together, Bruce Wheeler, is a magician, I don't know how he does it.  He's a sweetheart of a guy, makes everyone happy, makes everyone feel important, and enjoys himself during the concert.  Love his family too, they're all in it with him, it's a family affair.  He's very cool.  The people that come to his show are Blues fans, these are people with soul and heart.  I love these people.  Here's a pic of our booth from 2 years ago. 

More good news:  Bain and I visit St. John, USVI every year.  We got married down there in 1995.  We love it.  I love the people.  We've made the trip every year since '94 and have met so many cool people.  There's a shop down there called 'Tall Ship Trading Company' and it's run by Jo and Eliot.  They've been on island for 30 years or so.  They print t-shirts for themselves and local businesses on the island.  This year, Jo asked me if I'd be interested in selling some of my jewelry in the shop.  I picked my jaw up off the floor and said, "Uh huh!, um, yeah, I'd like that"  So I developed a line for her and sent it on down.  The pic I used in yesterdays blog is one of the pieces.  The necklaces are put together with a lampwork bead that has a large hole.  The hole is big enough so that it can be strung on the the Pandora bracelets - and they were designed with a petroglyph and colors that evoke the Caribe.  The bead is threaded onto deerskin lace - USA, of course - and include a Sterling Silver ring - handmade by me with gemstones that compliment the colors of the lampwork bead.  You have to call TallShip Trading Company for pricing - I also developed some earring lines - one has an abalone shell feeling and one has Larimar (the stone of the Caribbean) made up with Sterling Silver. 
I'm so jacked up when I think a part of me is on the island at this moment.  It's been a goal of mine to get there - even part time - and knowing I'm there right now makes me very happy and very proud. 
I'll post some pics of the some of the pieces.
Take care of yourself.  Never let your dreams go.  Let the Universe figure out how it's gonna happen - just keep planning and doing.




Yours in Rocks and Beads,  Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment