Tuesday, January 4, 2011

New Year - 2011 - Back To Work





































Have you ever worked in the Retail field? If the answer is yes, then you feel the same way I do right now. If no, then let me share with you how retailers feel and think right now.
We are burnt out from the Holidays, but exhilarated by the prospect of a fresh start. It makes for a messy mind. There will be days that are so slow this month that we want to give up trying to put our best foot forward. This is a feeling we fight - or give into. It's a bummer. Some retailers become surly. It's unfair, I know, you've spent all your hard earned money this past season and expect, no deserve, the right to a happy and willing participant in this game. Sometimes, the after holiday experience is a deal breaker between customer and retailer. People are filled to the brim with consumption and it's like eating too much; it can make you sick to your stomach.
But I don't feel that way anymore. I went back to work yesterday for a full day. I felt so happy to be in the shop. I felt happy to be there. I swept the floor. I cleaned. I started the floor move for the new goods that will be coming in the first week of February. I felt excited to work hard. I felt needed by the customers that came in, and I was missed. I felt fortunate and "rich in spirit". Yesterday, I felt worthy of my job, my shop, my customers.
Today, I got word that the WVLiving Marketplace stores want more Minnie Finch earrings. This will be the 4th order. I am so excited about this relationship. The women that run and own these stores are fabulous. They are accomplished business women in their own worlds and opened these 2 locations on the side of their already busy lives. If you're visiting Snowshoe, go into the store. The atmosphere is fantastic. Check it out online. Their 2nd location is Morgantown, WV. I am proud to be a part of their merchandise assortment and excited for the opportunity they allow me to advertise my own brick and mortar. I consider this a victory for the shop, for myself. It's a great motivator. It's the reason I'll work a little harder today. It's the reason I'll try to make the customer feel extra special today. It's a very good reason to put the "grinch" away.
So, retailers, find your little victory and restart your positive attitude that put you out in front. You deserve it, the customers deserve it and everyone wins in the end.
Customers, bear with us poor slobs, for sometimes, we know not what comes out of our mouths or how our facial expressions can ruin your day this time of year. It's all good.
This month's birthstone is Garnet. I will be blogging about this stone later. I may be able to post pics - I'm still working on it....not an easy task.

yours in rock and beads,
Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment