Tuesday, May 17, 2011

"I've Never Been In a Bead Shop"

I am often asked the question "Do you sell beads by the strand?"
No, we do not (currently) sell beads by the strand. When I started the bead shop, I knew I would have to specialize. Our retail square footage is limited so when I began selling beads, I knew I wanted to offer a product that the customer would be excited about and could not find out in the market already. The Desert Beckons Bead Shop specializes in stone beads. I have been using stone beads in my jewelry making since the 80's and I guessed that other customers would want the opportunity to use semi precious stones in their creations as well.

A lot of jewelry makers are used to big box retailers - big box craft stores - big box fabric stores - big box on line catalog retailers. These outlets offer a wide selection of beads that are packaged in quantities for purchase. The big on line catalog retailers offer the same and also beads by the strand. But, how much are you spending when you make a purchase? If your interest is making a pair of earrings, for instance, how much product do you have to buy to complete your desired result? How much product is left over after your project is finished? How often do you reuse the remaining product just to justify the initial expenditure? How often are you sucked into spending over your budget simply to obtain the 10% off that on line catalog offers?

Let's do some math....Your project is a pair of earrings.
You will need: 1 pair of ear wires
2 head pins
(?) a quantity of beads to thread onto the head pins to achieve your design
.....the amount of beads you choose will vary depending on the desired
length
There are variables that effect the cost: the metal you choose - Sterling Silver, Brass, Copper,
Gunmetal, Pewter
the choice of stone bead - Aquamarine will be more
expensive than Agate
the choice of using faceted glass beads as opposed to
Swarovski Crystal
Your Choice - always.
You determine the cost.
When your project is complete, you will have a pair of earrings that you designed in the price range that is comfortable for your budget - and there is no extra product sitting in your bead box.
You have not over spent - you have not bought extra product that will go wasted -

The Desert Beckons Bead Shop offers the best quality stone beads. I strive to buy A quality product. The stone beads are genuine - not dyed - not epoxied - and the price per bead is competitive. I have done the homework. I keep up on the prices and offerings of these big companies. I shop other bead stores to compare my pricing and I beat them - bead for bead!

A bead shop can save you money. Compare the pricing in my store against any strand pricing. You will purchase less, spend less and the best part...you'll select your own stone beads for your project.

We also offer other beads - glass, wood, shell, porcelain, etc.

Don't be intimidated by paying for each bead! You'll be pleasantly surprised by the quality and unique offerings that bead shops stock!

Happy Beading!

Yours in rocks and beads,
Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment