Friday, February 18, 2011

School Presentation Recap

Have you been in a modern classroom lately? Oh boy have they changed. The classrooms have phones. They have computers, of course. Do you remember the old over head projectors? They were really clunky and the teacher used transparencies and grease pencils to project the lessons onto the screen. I remember the teacher always had to turn the transparencies this way and that to upright the image. Well, the modern version of this is is now at warp speed. So impressive. Mrs. Krellis held the rock specimen under the scope-thing and the rock just came to life. It showed the brilliance and depth of the characteristics I described and the students oooooooohed & ahhhhhhhed each time.
So I felt like every other word out of my mouth was "abba dabba", but everyone said I did a great job. I was nervous, but it worked out fine. I understand that adults impact children every time we open our mouths, so this was on my mind. I didn't want to mis-inform. I was freaking out that a student would ask a question that I couldn't answer. That's where Mrs. Krellis and Ms. Hohman came in. They saved me a few times. After all, how many times can you say "that's a good question, I'll get to that in a moment" - only adults fall for this....hahahahaha

I never thought I would be doing field trips to schools. I consider myself a retailer. I sell stuff. I do the best I can to make people feel good about coming into my store and making a purchase. But, there's so much more to it and this is a learning experience for me. Funny, I went to school to show my rocks and promote my store, but I came away having learned something. Go figure.

p.s. tell a teacher, "Thank You"

yours in rocks and beads,
Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment