Sunday, February 6, 2011

Tucson Gem Show -2011

Well, we've been back for a week now and still we wait on our shipment. The storm that pummeled the midwest is holding our goodies captive. Good grief! UPS is broken. They now have an automated voice saying - basically - tuff sh*t, you'll get your packages when we get them to you. OK then. So we wait.
In the meantime, I am working on the bead inventory. I'm just about finished tagging and stocking. I know what'll happen, the boxes will arrive and so will every customer waiting on the new rock buy. This has happened before and because I'm a people pleaser, I rip open the boxes and make a mess of things. Then I scramble to organize for tagging. I was never any good at this part of retail. Frankly, I prefer to be on the selling floor and have the goods brought to me - silver platter style - to oooooh and aaaaaah over them. Now that I am CEO/floor sweeper, I don't get this luxury. And, my retail education continues.....
I was busy yesterday (Saturday). People came. People were expecting new rocks. I told the UPS story a half dozen times. Mother Nature and her attitude, WHATever.....

The new beads are gorgeous. I am really looking forward to working with them. I've got some great ideas on how to bring them to the jewelry section of the store in wearable form. The metaphysical seekers like to wear their stones and I'm anxious to get a collection of bracelets and necklaces together for them. I plan to bring a $10, $15 & $20 price point to the floor and I think it can be done. I'm using more brass, copper and pewter these days because the price of silver is reaching an alltime absurd high. I'll still use sterling silver, my fav, but I've caved into the mixed metals. Sometimes, the stones look better with a brass compliment anyway.

I'm heading into the shop to get some work done in preparation for the new inventory. I'll post more later....

One more thing, Friday, I was flinging myself around the shop and I tripped over the computer cord and the laptop crashed to the floor. The screen was trashed, but the harddrive survived. I basically worked for free yesterday to pay for the new laptop I'm typing on right now.
$ in and $ out, but I kept my cool, which is very un like me.....I'm trying to be a conservative rabbit this year and this was my first test. I think I passed. What're you gonna do, right?

yours in rocks and beads,
Kathy

No comments:

Post a Comment